previous next

The shooting of two of Capt. Wallace's men in Petersburg.

In our telegraph column on the morning of the 22d inst., we mentioned the fact that two of Capt. Wallace's men had been shot for insubordination, in Petersburg, last Tuesday evening. We gather the following particulars of the sad affair from the Express, of Wednesday:

The regiment arrived from Richmond between one and two o'clock, and, was marched to the Norfolk depot to take passage on that road. Many of them were very noisy and intemperate, and it was found that unless they were placed under strict orders, it would be impossible to keep them under any kind of control. After they were marched aboard the cars, Col. Ander on issued orders that none of them should leave the cars; in case any one should disobey the order, he should first be hailed, and should be refuse to deed the summons, he should be shot.--Before the train moved off, however, some of the men became very heatless, and evidently showed intentions to run the blockade, if possible, heedless of all consequences. One of them John George, by name, belonging to Captain Gustavus Wallace a company, of Richmond Virginia, was noticed by the Captain, just as he was on the car, and warned that if he he would disobedience of the Colonels was certainly shoot him. The man, who was strongly under the influence of liquor, paused a moment, but after using very threatening and insulting language towards the Captain, advanced, and had placed one foot on the platform of the depot, when Captain Wallace drew his pistol, and true to his word, shot him. The ball entered George's forehead, just above the right eye, and passed out at the back part of the head. He tell dead, between the platform and the cars, bleeding profusely and his brains cozing out on the sills of the track. His body was removed to the poor-house for burial.

The engine shortly afterwards moved some distance down the road, to make room for the incoming train from Norfolk. The spot where George fell was marked by a pool of mingled blood and brains, which afforded the crowd a lively theme of conversation until near four o'clock, when the firing of muskets was heard in the direction of the train, and a rush made thither. It was ascertained there that Frederick Campbell, a member also of Captain Wallace's company, had disobeyed orders. After witnessing the above fearful warning, he had left the train, and was hailed twice or thrice without answering. The sentinels were ordered to fire blank cartridges, and it was not until this had been done three or four times that he turned, and was returning when he was pierced through the abdomen by a ball from one of the guard's muskets, the ball passing out at the back. He fell, and was shortly afterwards carried into the house of Mr. Luke Farrell, where attentions, both medical and religious, were administered. During the afternoon he was conveyed to the Fair Grounds' Hospital, but it is thought that the wound will undoubtedly prove fatal.

We also heard that several other soldiers were fired at for similar disobedience, but without injury.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Gustavus Wallace (5)
John George (1)
Luke Farrell (1)
Frederick Campbell (1)
Ander (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
22nd (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: