--An accident from burning occurred yesterday morning, about 1 o'clock, at the residence of Mr. Alexander Kerr
, located about two miles west of this city, which did not terminate fatally, owing to the presence of mind of Mr. Kerr
The dress of his negro girl Sarah caught fire from sparks from a grate, and she soon becoming enveloped in flames ran through the house screaming in an agony of pain.
attracted by the cries succeeded in removing the burning dresses, but not before the girl had been badly burned about the body and hands, to such an extent that her death may be looked for in a short time.
Her owner's hands were also severely burned in his attempts to remove the burning raiment of the girl.
Dr. John F. Sinton
, who was sent for; did all in his power to mitigate the sufferings of the unfortunate victim of the above disaster.