Navy Department of
Richmond, June 24th, 1862
A Board, composed of the following officers, convene at Richmond
, on the 25th instead the examination of Acting Midshipmen
Flag-Officer George N. Hollins
R. D. Thorsurn, Members.
Commander Chas. H. McBlair
Lieutenant Julian Myers
Lieutenant Wm. H. Parker
The following will be order and subjective examination:
Examination of the 1st Class.
Navigation — Day's Work, Time Light tude by Meridian alt, and use of Sextant.
- 2. Seamanship.-- Furling sails sending up and down top-gallant and royal Stowing Hold, Working Anchors and Chams eral questions on.
Mathematics.--Solution of plane and angles, Descriptive Astronomy, surveying ral questions on.
's Light Infantry Drill Company). Field Howitzer Drill (Parkers
) Questions on.
5. Steam — General questions on.
.--Reading and Writing.
Examination of Second Class.
Navigation.--Day's Work, Latitude alt. Reading and adjusting Sextant questions on.
Seamanship.--Rigging, Furling Sails Sending up and down top-gallant and royal General questions on.
of plane ), Mensuration of plane General questions on.
Gunnery.--Manual of Small Arms, Gunnery, Questions on.
- History and Physical Geography.-- questions on.
- French.--Reading and Writing.
Examination of third Class.
Mathematics.--Arithusetic and Equations of the 2d degree.
- 2. Gunnery.--manual of Small Arms Great Guns.
Examination of Fourth Class.
Must be able to read and write well.
- 2. Write from dictation; Spell correctly.
- 3. Perform the various operations of the Rules of Arithmetic, viz: Numeration and Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and of whole numbers.
Acting Middiparen on and off duty Virginia
and North Carolina
will appear Board and hold themselves in for
After concluding the examination in this Board will adjourn to meet in Savannah
, bile Ala, and at the Headquarters of the Forces on the Mississippi river
, and its tribe and all Acting Midshipmen
on duty at these actions, and those not on duty within reach stations, will hold themselves in readiness before the Board when it meets.
S. R. Mallor
je 25-- Sec'y of the