previous next


--About 11 o'clock last Wednesday night the alarm of fire was given on the eastern suburbs of the city, and soon thereafter the firemen were astir and ready for service, but found that the conflagration was beyond their bounds, and that their machines could effect no good. The alarm was caused by the burning of Mr. Joseph A. Seay's residence, on 30th street, Church Hill. The fire, doubtless the result of carelessness on the part of a servant, originated in the kitchen, which was in a light blaze when first discovered, the cook woman narrowly escaping with her life. Finding that the kitchen and its contents must be a total loss, the neighbors and a few soldiers set to work to save Mr. Seay's furniture, but partially succeeded only, when the dwelling-house took fire and burned so rapidly that it was soon reduced to ashes. Mr. Seay's loss is an exceedingly heavy one for these times, as his houses could not be rebuilt for $10,000, and the lost and destroyed articles of furniture and wearing apparel cannot now be replaced. We understand he had no insurance.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Joseph A. Seay (3)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: