previous next


Fire.

--The alarm of fire about four o'clock yesterday morning was caused by the burning of the sleepers under the hearth to a tenement on 9th street, between Broad and Marshall, adjoining what is known as the old "Swan Tavern" From the charred condition of the numbers supporting the heart and mantel place, it is supposed that the dire had been burning some time. The occupant of the room was fortunately are use upon the first bursting out of the smother flames, or doubtless the whole row, with in contents, would have been destroyed. A it was, a large portion of the flooring and weather-boarding was burnt, and the flames had considerable headway before they could be subdued. Mrs. Henry Vance, the occupant of the house, lost in the neighborhood of a thousand dollars' worth of furniture from damage by water, &c., included it which was a splendid looking glass about six feet long, which was sheltered into atoms.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Henry Vance (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: