--About a quarter past 8 o'clock yesterday morning the fire alarm bell was sounded, when attention was directed to large volumes of smoke and flame issuing from the upper part of the west end of the large carpenter shop of Messrs. George
& John Gibson
, on the corner of Cary and 6th streets. The fire originated in a shed which had recently been built on the wing of the Messrs.
's extensive works, running along Cary street, and had been used as quarters for the negro workmen employed by them.
Before it was discovered the devouring elements had spread throughout the entire shed, and for a time it was thought the different departments of this establishment would be totally destroyed; but in an almost incredible short space of time the fire brigade arrived on the ground, and getting a stream on, succeeded in confining the flames to that portion in which the fire originated.
The shed, furniture, and clothing therein, belonging to the negroes quartered there were a total loss, amounting in value to about $2,500. An old negro woman living on the premises, and who did the cooking for the negro workmen, was out at the time the fire occurred, and the supposition is that some inflammable material ignited from the cooking stove
, in which fire had been left from getting their breakfast.