previous next


Dangerous candle Stick.

--Last Thursday night four members of the State Guard sat down to a game of cards at their barracks on Gamble's Hill. They played by the light of a piece of candle stuck into a pop bottle, which it turned out was about half full of powder. Whilst they were most deeply interested in the game the candle burnt out, and the snuff falling into the bottle, caused an instant and tremendous explosion, which broke up the game most unceremoniously. All of the players were considerably singed and burnt, but none of them, we are glad to learn, fatally injured.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: