--About three o'clock on yesterday morning the wood-house on the premises of Mr. Wm. A. Irvin
, on French Garden Hill
, was fired by an incendiary, and the flames soon communicated to a large lumber house and an unoccupied kitchen.
When Mr. Irvin
's family became aware of the fire the houses mentioned were all ablaze, and his dwelling house was seriously threatened Mr. Irvin
, who, amongst other employment, is night watch
at the Exchange Bank, being quite unwell was at home.
Believing that his dwelling house would be burned he caught up the keys of the Exchange Bank and some silver plate belonging to St. Panl's Church, and carried them to a neighbor for safe keeping.
On returning he found a crowd of persons in his house removing his furniture and going to look for a pocket book containing $1,200, which he had left lying en a chair near his bed, he discovered that it had been stolen.
Some time afterwards he found the pocket-book out in the yard, robbed of its contents.
The worst thing about this money was that it did not belong to Mr. Irvin
, but had been collected by him for other parties.
The fire brigade arriving very promptly on the ground saved the dwelling-house and all the surrounding buildings.
's loss, including the burnt buildings, the loss of money, and the damage to his furniture by hasty removal, cannot be less than five thousand dollars. He had no insurance.
The residence of Dr. L. Edwards
, near No. 4 battery, on Church Hill
, took fire from a foul chimney on Saturday last, and would have been consumed but for the prompt and energetic efforts of the soldiers at the battery, who rushed to the rescue and extinguished the flames.
The alarm of fire yesterday, was caused by the accidental firing by a stove pipe of the old omnibus stable on Nicholson street, in Rocketts
The fire was put out before the firemen reached the scene.