previous next

From General Hood's army.

The Montgomery (Alabama) Mail gives the following account of Hood's crossing the Tennessee river at Florence. It says:

‘ "The entire army has crossed the Tennessee river at Florence. Lee's corps crossed first. The other corps crossed on last Sunday.

"It is further stated, that while portions of the army were on this side of the river, a party of bold Federal raiders came down the river in skiffs and cut the pontoon bridge in two or three places. Three of the river raiders were captured, and hatchets were found in their possession, with which they did the cutting. The rest of the party escaped. It was one of the boldest attempts of the Yankee raiders during the campaign.

"The bridge was soon repaired, and the remainder of the army crossed. Our informant further states that the baggage and transportation of the army has been materially reduced. One wagon alone is allowed to each headquarters, even including the transportation of the commander-in-chief. The best mules and horses and wagons have been placed in the supply train. The direction of the army is not known."

’ A letter from Florence says:

‘ "Clayton's division reached South Florence about 12 o'clock on Sunday, October 30th, and preparations were immediately made to cross the river on the right of the railroad bridge, of which nothing remains but the piers. Pontoon boats were brought up, and a crew for each selected — poles, paddles, etc., being made under cover of a large bluff. Fenner's (Louisiana) and Garrity's (Alabama) batteries were placed in position on the bluff to support the infantry in crossing, as the enemy were known to occupy the town; although nothing was known outside of headquarters as to their exact number. At 4 o'clock P. M. everything was reported in readiness.

"Immediately in front of South Florence (the point selected for crossing) is a large narrow island, about two hundred yards from the northern shore.--Nearly opposite the west point of this island, the pontoons were placed in a narrow road leading down to the water's edge. The crews all in their places, and at five minutes past five, the skirmishers having been deployed around the base of the bluff before referred to, the first gun was fired and the crossing began.

"At the sound of the signal gun every boat was raised in the arms of the men, moved briskly forward towards the water, and launched, one after another; and the river was soon alive with boats poling towards the island in gallant style; the men on the south bank keeping up a brisk fire upon the enemy; who could be seen moving about with considerable rapidity. After poling straight for the island, each boat suddenly turned down stream, and rounding the west point, made for the northern shore, all eager to be the first to land. Scarcely had the first boat, in which was General Gibson, reached the shore, and the Sixteenth Louisiana been deployed as skirmishers, when the loud cheering of the boys on the south bank announced that the enemy were retreating; and they could be seen dashing up the hill towards town in regular 'devil-take-the-hindmost" style. The skirmishers now moved rapidly forward, killing and capturing a few of the enemy; and just after dark the brigade entered the town. "

’ A letter from Forrest's command gives us a brief account of his successful affair at Johnsonville. It says:

‘ "Upon arriving in the vicinity of the town, he was surprised to find four gunboats at anchor in-the river and acting as convoy to transports. Not in the least daunted, however, by their presence, he put himself at the head of his command and dashed into the town.--The small garrison surrendered. So quick were his actions that the transports did not his actions that the transports did not have time to get up steam and away before his men boarded them and took possession. The gunboats quietly succumbed to their inevitable fate. Thus, within the short space of forty minutes, four gunboats, carrying eight fine guns each; fourteen splendid steamboats and seventeen large barges — boats and barges heavily ladened with subsistence and clothing for Sherman's army — fell into our hands almost without the loss of a life to the gallant command that made the capture. General Forrest was not prepared to bring away supplies. Sheer necessity compelled him to destroy, after supplying his command, (both the inner and outer man,) this immense quantity of supplies.

"During the town was fired and every house burned, with but few exceptions.

"It is roughly estimated that the value of the property that fell into our hands from this brilliant affair will amount to $5,000,00."

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Hood (2)
N. B. Forrest (2)
Sherman (1)
N. M. Lee (1)
Thomas P. Gibson (1)
Garrity (1)
Florence (1)
Fenner (1)
Clayton (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
October 30th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: