previous next

Fatal mistake.

--The death of Miss Ellen Shields, published in our columns on Saturday last, was caused, we learn, by drinking poison in mistake for medicine prescribed for her by a physician. She had prepared a mixture of sulphur, which was sitting in close proximity to some arsenic, the latter of which she swallowed through mistake. Miss Shields was an employee at the Confederate States Laboratory, and it was there that the unfortunate accident took place.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
United States (United States) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Ellen Shields (2)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: