village is 13 km from the great military camp of Troesmis, which for a long period was occupied by Legio V
Macedonica. The village very probably lies on the site
of a vicus of veterans that formed part of the territorium
Troesmense. No systematic excavations have been carried
out but a chance find made in 1908 suggests that the
vicus must have contained a mithraeum. Besides some
wall sections, tiles and lamps, a dozen marble relief fragments have been found, connected with the Mithraic
cult. These are small ex-votos, non-epigraphic for the
most part. Only one of them still shows traces of a Latin
inscription, but they are barely comprehensible.
V. Pârvan, An. Acad. Rom., Mem. Sect.
. 35 (1913) 509-18, 544-46.
D. M. PIPPIDI