previous next

ACBUNAR Tulcea, Romania.

The present-day village is 13 km from the great military camp of Troesmis, which for a long period was occupied by Legio V Macedonica. The village very probably lies on the site of a vicus of veterans that formed part of the territorium Troesmense. No systematic excavations have been carried out but a chance find made in 1908 suggests that the vicus must have contained a mithraeum. Besides some wall sections, tiles and lamps, a dozen marble relief fragments have been found, connected with the Mithraic cult. These are small ex-votos, non-epigraphic for the most part. Only one of them still shows traces of a Latin inscription, but they are barely comprehensible.


V. Pârvan, An. Acad. Rom., Mem. Sect. Ist. 35 (1913) 509-18, 544-46.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: