(Karabavli) Pisidia, Turkey.
Sütçüler, about 35 km S of Eğridir. The city is first mentioned in an inscription of the 2d c. B.C. recording a
treaty of friendship and alliance with Termessos Maior;
reference is made to “the democracy established in each
of the cities.” Coinage began in the 1st c. B.C., with the
title “Autonomous,” and continued to the time of Gallienus. Later the city was a bishopric under the metropolitan of Antiocheia.
The location at Karabavli is accepted, though not
strictly proved. The ruins are quite impressive, including
a Temple of the Emperors and Aphrodite, and a Temple
of the Emperors and Zeus Sarapis. From the agora a
finely preserved stairway leads up to a tower and other
buildings, apparently the acropolis of the city. Many of
the buildings are standing to several stories.
C. Ritter, Erdkunde
IX.2 pp. 572-74;
G. Hirschfeld in GGA
(1888) 567f; J.R.S. Sterrett,
Wolfe Expedition to Asia Minor
(1888) 281ff; A. Wilhelm in SBWien
3 (1910) 3ff; D. Magie, Roman Rule
G. E. BEAN