previous next

ADADA (Karabavli) Pisidia, Turkey.

Near Sütçüler, about 35 km S of Eğridir. The city is first mentioned in an inscription of the 2d c. B.C. recording a treaty of friendship and alliance with Termessos Maior; reference is made to “the democracy established in each of the cities.” Coinage began in the 1st c. B.C., with the title “Autonomous,” and continued to the time of Gallienus. Later the city was a bishopric under the metropolitan of Antiocheia.

The location at Karabavli is accepted, though not strictly proved. The ruins are quite impressive, including a Temple of the Emperors and Aphrodite, and a Temple of the Emperors and Zeus Sarapis. From the agora a finely preserved stairway leads up to a tower and other buildings, apparently the acropolis of the city. Many of the buildings are standing to several stories.


C. Ritter, Erdkunde IX.2 pp. 572-74; G. Hirschfeld in GGA (1888) 567f; J.R.S. Sterrett, Wolfe Expedition to Asia Minor (1888) 281ff; A. Wilhelm in SBWien 3 (1910) 3ff; D. Magie, Roman Rule (1950) 264.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: