previous next

AGRINION Greece.

A town in central Aitolia ca. 3 km NE of the modern town of the same name (formerly called Vrachori). Its general location, E of the Acheloos river below Stratos, is given by Polybios (5.7.7) in his account of the march of Philip V on Thermon in 218 B.C. The town, which had been occupied by the Akarnanians in 314 B.C., was sacked by the Aitolians (Diod. 19.67-68). Excavations have uncovered a stretch of city wall ca. 2 km in circumference, and foundations of several buildings.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

Praktika (1928) 96-110; Philippson-Kirsten, Gr. Landschaften II, 2 (1958) 337-39.

E. VANDERPOOL

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: