previous next

AQUAE GRANNI (Aachen) Germany.

West of the province Germania Inferior, probably in the region of the Sunuci settled in the time of Augustus and Tiberius. About A.D. 80 the legions in this province built above the hot sulfur springs two baths, the Büchelthermae and the Münsterthermae, which were still in use in the second half of the 4th c. A.D. Together with a large temple complex the baths formed an important health center, probably for the troops that built them. The Roman living quarters were included in the area of the baths. To the NW of the settlement was a necropolis of the 3d and 4th c. Various finds in Burtscheid suggest that there too baths had existed. Most of the finds are now in the Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Bonn.


J. Hagen, Römerstrassen der Rheinprovinz (2d ed. 1931) 246-50; H. v. Petrikovits, “Aachen (Grabungen),” BonnJbb 145 (1940) 307-11; id., “Aquae Iasae,” Arheološki Vestnik 19 (1968) 89-93; H. Christ, “Das Karolingische Thermalbad der Aachener Pfalz,” Germania 36 (1958) 119-32; L. Hugot, “Die römischen Büchelthermen in Aachen,” BonnJbb 163 (1963) 188-97; H. Cüppers, “Aquae,” Der kleine Pauly 1 (1964) 475f; H. Nesselhauf & H. v. Petrikovits, “Ein Weihaltar . . . aus Aachen-Burtscheid,” BonnJbb 167 (1967) 268-79.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: