or Isauria or Isara Turkey.
City of Isauria on a hill (Zengibar Kalesi) near Ulu
Pinar, 10 km E of Boskir (Silistat). It was the main
fortress of Isauria when Perdiccas took it in 322 B.C.
), was destroyed by Servilius Isauricus in
75 B.C., and later restored by Amyntas of Galatia who
died when the wall was under construction (Strab. 12.6.3
14.3.3). It appears on Roman Imperial coinage as metropolis of the Isaurians.
The wall around the hill is ca. 3.8 km long. Parts of
it are well preserved, including two well-fortified gates
and 14 polygonal towers. The masonry is pseudo-isodomic. The small acropolis is on a rise at the SE end of
the city. Inside the walls remains still standing include
arches to Hadrian, Marcus Aurelius, and Severus Alexander, a well-preserved church, and an octagonal chapel.
Outside the walls are some elaborate rock-cut graves and
heroa, apparently of the 2d-3d c. A.D.
W. J. Hamilton, Researches in Asia
II (1842) 327f; J. S. Sterrett, Papers Am. Sch.
of Classical Studies Athens
3 (1884-85) 97, 105f; J.
Jüthner et al., Vörlautiger Benicht über eine Archäologische Expedition nach Kleinasien
Jüthner et al., Denkmäler aus Lykaonien, Pamphylien
(1935) 69-92, 119-42MPI
; D. Magie, Roman
Rule in Asia Minor (1950) esp. 1170 n. 22, 1171 n. 24;
F. E. Winter, Greek Fortifications (1971) 136, 190f, 194,
T. S. MAC KAY