On the coast of
Cilicia Aspera, 18 km E of Anamur. Colonized by the
Samians according to Mela (1.77), but the eponymous
founder Nagis (Steph. Byz. s.v.) is likely to be mythical.
The city flourished in the 5th and 4th c., when it issued
silver coinage, and is recorded by Hekataios (ap. Steph.
Byz.) and Pseudo-Skylax, together with an island called
Nagidussa. In later times little is heard of it, but it is
mentioned by Strabo (670
) as the first city E of Anemurion, and sherds and an inscription show that the site was occupied down to the 2d or 3d c. A.D.
The ruins are on a low hill just E of the village. An
early circuit wall of mixed polygonal and ashlar masonry,
with large blocks, still stands to a man's height for much
of its extent. There are some pieces of similar wall in
the interior, but no buildings are recognizable. An ancient
road has been identified on the neighboring plain, and
a small island close offshore evidently corresponds to the
ancient Nagidussa; it is covered with ruins of late date.
R. Heberdey & A. Wilhelm, Reisen in
(1896) 159; G. B. Bean & T. B. Mitford, Journeys in Rough Cilicia 1964-1968
G. E. BEAN