previous next

OAKWOOD Selkirkshire, Scotland.

Roman auxiliary fort 6 km SW of Selkirk. Excavation in 1951-52 showed that it was built ca. A.D. 80 and was square with an internal area of 1.4 ha. The defenses comprised a turf rampart and two ditches, and the four timber gateways were of unusual design. Subsequently an annex was added on the S and the defenses were overhauled, but the fort was abandoned soon after A.D. 100. The internal buildings have not been explored. To the N are some remains of a temporary camp.


Proc. Soc. Ant. Scotland 86 (1952) 81-105.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: