previous next

RAEDYKES Kincardineshire, Scotland.

A Roman marching camp 6 km NW of Stonehaven. Irregular in plan and ca. 660 by 540 m, it had six gates protected by titula. The rampart and ditch are not uniform throughout, being much more substantial at the N corners and along the E side. Excavation in 1914 produced no datable finds, but the size of the camp identifies it as one of a series believed to have been built during the late Severan campaigns in N Britain.


Proc. Soc. Ant. Scotland 50 (1916) 317-48; JRS 59 (1969) 118-19.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: