previous next

TABERNAE (Lalla Djillalia) Morocco.

A station of the Antonine Itinerary (8.1), mentioned in the Notitia Dignitatum (occ. 26), in Mauretania Tingitana on the road from Tingis to Lixus. The ruins cover nearly 10 ha. One can recognize a castellum about 90 m square and a settlement protected by a rampart, beyond which spread some indeterminate suburbs. Coins and potsherds show the site was occupied continuously from the 1st c. A.D. to the end of the 4th, but it was probably largely destroyed in the second half of the 3d c.


L. Chatelain, Le Maroc des Romains (1944) 49-52; M. Tarradell, “La crisis del siglo III de J.C. en Marruecos,” Tamuda 3 (1955) 83-84; M. Ponsich, “Contribution à l'Atlas archéologique du Maroc: région de Lixus,” Bulletin d'Archeologie Marocaine 6 (1966) 418, no. 68.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: