the Arevaci on the Cerro de Castro, near Osma. It is
mentioned by Pliny (3.27
), Flores (3.22.9), and Ptolemy,
among others. The walls, protected by rectangular towers, are N, E, and S of the town, which covers two plateaux with axes of ca. 600 m and an area of 28 ha.
The town survived into the Visigoth age and was the
seat of a bishopric.
The most important monuments are the Mina (section of a sewer), cisterns, baths, and a probable basilica with mosaics. In the Portugui vineyards part of an extensive Celtiberian cemetery has been excavated, with
incineration graves of the 3d-2d c. B.C. The finds, in the
Soria Celtiberian Museum and the National Archaeological Museum in Madrid, include sculptures, Roman capitals, iron weapons, miscellaneous metal ware, Celtiberian, Campanian, and terra sigillata pottery, coins, the
inscription from the Osma bronze (CIL
II, 3819), altars,
P. Bosch, “Hallazgos de las Necrópolis
de Osma y Gormaz,” Anuari del Institut d'Estudis Catalans
7 (1921-26) 171ff; B. Taracena, Carta Arqueológica de España. Soria
M. PELLICER CATALÁN