previous next

VADU Dobrudja, Romania.

At the S extremity of the Lake Sinoe the ruins of a walled city, probably founded by the Greek colonists from Histria, in the 6th c. B.C., to judge from ceramic fragments. Nearby, toward the S, lies another rural settlement defended by a vallum and a ditch. On the surface were found a considerable number of architectural and sculptural fragments, and Greek and Latin inscriptions, dating from the Hellenistic and Roman periods. On the W side of the modern village are many tumuli. At Vadu was located the vicus Celeris, mentioned in an inscription discovered here.


J. Weiss, Die Dobrudscha im Altertum (1911) 58-60; R. Vulpe, Histoire Ancienne de la Dobroudja (1938) 193, 194, 209, 221.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: