(Alezio) Apulia, Italy.
This ancient Messapian center was mentioned by Pliny (HN
) and Ptolemy (3.1). Its position is clearly indicated in the name of the ancient church of S. Maria della
Lizza, around which the mediaeval settlement called
Picciotti grew up, and from which the modern town retook the ancient name. The flourishing economic life of
Aletium was associated, especially around the 4th c.
B.C., with its proximity to Kallipolis (Gallipoli) ca. 7 km
away. There is evidence of the ancient city in the modern
town, on the outskirts of which tombs with Messapian
inscriptions frequently appear. Several tombs have been
reconstructed in an archaeological park. Messapian inscriptions are to be found in the Municipal Library at Alezio and in the Castromediano Museum at Lecce.
BIBLIOGRAPHY. W. Smith, Dictionary of Greek and
, (1856) 95 (E. H. Bunbury); RE
1.2 (1894) 1371 (Hülsen); O. Parlangeli, Studi Messapici
F. G. LO PORTO