(Watercrook) Westmorland, England.
An earth and timber fort for an infantry unit 500
strong, founded in the late 1st c. and subsequently replaced in stone. The occupation continued into the late
4th c. The only known garrison is Cohors III Nerviorum. A civil settlement grew up around the fort and
pottery may have been made there.
E. B. Birley, “The Roman fort at Watercrook,” Trans. Cumberland and Westmorland Arch. Soc
ser. 2, 57 (1958) 13-17.