(Phidhokastro) S Epeiros, Greece.
The port of Ambrakia on the bank of a lagoon by the
Gulf of Arta, where the foundations of a circuit wall ca.
1200 m long are awash. A gap in the foundation marks
the exit of the harbor, which led into the course of the
river Arachthos. It was a locked harbor with fortifications
(Scylax 33 and Polyb. 4.61.7), and there was a small
town there (StBiz. s.v.).
N.G.L. Hammond, Epirus