later AGRIPPIAS (Khirbet Teda) Israel.
A Greek city 3.2 km N of Gaza on the Mediterranean coast. Pliny (HN 5.14
), who writes that Anthedon
was an inland town, was probably mistaken. The city was
conquered by Alexander Jannaeus (Joseph., AJ 13.395
but freed by Pompey in 64 B.C. Augustus gave the city
to Herod (AJ
10.217), who renamed it Agrippias or
Agrippion in honor of Augustus' son-in-law Marcus Vispanius Agrippa. On coins struck from the times of Elagabalus to Septimius Severus, however, the old name reappears.
F. M. Abel, Géographie de la Palestine
II (1938) 244-45; M. Avi-Yonah, The Holy Land
70, 89, 100, 150.