previous next

ANTHEDON later AGRIPPIAS (Khirbet Teda) Israel.

A Greek city 3.2 km N of Gaza on the Mediterranean coast. Pliny (HN 5.14), who writes that Anthedon was an inland town, was probably mistaken. The city was conquered by Alexander Jannaeus (Joseph., AJ 13.395), but freed by Pompey in 64 B.C. Augustus gave the city to Herod (AJ 10.217), who renamed it Agrippias or Agrippion in honor of Augustus' son-in-law Marcus Vispanius Agrippa. On coins struck from the times of Elagabalus to Septimius Severus, however, the old name reappears.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

F. M. Abel, GĂ©ographie de la Palestine II (1938) 244-45; M. Avi-Yonah, The Holy Land (1966) 70, 89, 100, 150.

A. NEGEV

hide References (2 total)
  • Cross-references from this page (2):
    • Flavius Josephus, Jewish Antiquities, 13.395
    • Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 5.14
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: