previous next

APOLLONIS Turkey.

City in Lydia midway on the road between Sardis and Pergamon (Strab. 13.4.4), founded by Eumenes II of Pergamon (197-160 B.C.). Cicero refers to it as well deserving and prosperous (Flac. 29.71). It is on a hill half an hour's walk N of modern Mecidiye (formerly Palamut). Partly preserved is a large wall circuit with some 24 towers, of Hellenistic coursed trapezoidal (and some polygonal) masonry. Inside are remains of a rectangular building (gymnasium?). On a lower hill to the NW, connected by a saddle, is a smaller fortress. The main wall is thought to date earlier than the 190s. Nearby there was apparently a Macedonian colony, Doidye, not certainly located.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

A. Fontrier, Μουσεῖον καὶ βιβλ. Ἐυαγγ.σχολ (1886) 61f; BCH 11 (1887) 85; C. Schuchhardt, AthMitt 13 (1888) 2-17; 24 (1899) 153-56P; J. Keil & A. von Premerstein, “Bericht über eine Reise in Lydien

1906,” DenkschrWien 53, 2 (1908) 45M; id., “Bericht über eine zweite Reise, 1908,” ibid., 54, 2 (1911) 53-58; P. Herrmann, “Neue Inschriften zur Hist. Landeskunde von Lydien,” ibid. 77, 1 (1959) 6-10; L. Robert, Villes de l'Asie Mineure (2d ed. 1962) 24ff, 246-49MI.

T. S. MACKAY

hide References (1 total)
  • Cross-references from this page (1):
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: