West of the
plain of Athens, and separated from it by the range of
Aigaleos, is the Thriasian plain with its most important
ancient centers at Eleusis at the W end of the Bay of
Eleusis and at Thria. The position of the latter is not
precisely located. What indications there are, however,
point to the neighborhood of the modern town of Aspropyrgos, once the rural community of Chalyvia, set towards the E end of the plain about 3 km from the shore.
Here, sculpture and inscriptions—one, IG
grave monument for a demesman of Thria—have been
discovered in the walls of the houses and chapels in the
vicinity. Moreover, in antiquity the road leading into
the plain of Athens through the gap between Parnes and
Aigaleos passed nearby. Today the only obvious ancient remain is a rectangular grave plot of Early Roman Imperial date. It is enclosed with large white
marble blocks, one of which is decorated with a sculptured wreath and supports a marble table inscribed with
the names of the deceased, Straton of the deme of Kydathenaion, his wife, and son. The grave lies some distance S of Aspropyrgos, alongside the Athens-Eleusis
highway, a few m W of the junction between it and the
road to Aspropyrgos.
W. Wrede, “Thria” & Θριάσιον πεδίου
(1936) VI 598, 599-601.