or Andanos (Varvil) Turkey.
Town in Caria 7 km S of Küllük, never apparently colonized from Greece. Stephanos Byzantios says that the
Carians, who called the city Andanos, attributed its foundation to Achilles; the alternative tradition, that it was
founded by Bellerophon in honor of his friend Bargylos,
is equally mythical. in the Athenian tribute lists Bargylia
normally paid 1000 dr., and in the 5th c. B.C. was evldently of much less account than her neighbor Kindya.
By the 3d c. the positions were reversed: Bargylia became completely Hellenized, taking over the principal
deity of the Kindyans, Artemis, and sharing with lasos
the control of the gulf (Polyb. 16.12). in 201 B.C. Philip
V used the city as his base, though not without discomfort (Polyb. 16.24); in 196 he was required to withdraw,
and Bargylia was declared free. When Aristonikos occupied Myndos after 133 B.C. Bargylia was also in danger,
but she was freed by an epiphany of Artemis Kindyas.
Coinage exists from the 1st c. B.C. to the time of Septimius Severus; the principal types are Artemis and Pegasos.
The scanty ruins occupy a low hill with two summits
at the angle of an inlet in the form of a reversed L; the
inner part of this is now silted up. it is crossed at one
point by a stone causeway. On the N summit, which
formed the acropolis, were the chief buildings of the
Hellenistic and Roman city, but they are in wretched
condition. At the top was a Corinthian temple some 30 m
long, oriented NW-SE; only the foundations survive, but
some of its architectural members are strewn over the
slope below. On the S slope of the hill stood a small
odeion; the vaulted passage under the seats remains. The
theater, somewhat better preserved, is on the E slope.
An angle of the retaining wall is in excellent isodomic
ashlar, slightly bossed, but the rows of seats are gone.
Something of the stage building is still visible, and no
doubt more is preserved underground. Farther down the
slope are the foundations of a stoa. Nearby is a short
stretch of a Roman aqueduct with low arches neatly
formed; where the water came from is not clear. On the
S summit is a mediaeval castle and a fragment of the
city wall dating perhaps to the 4th c. B.C. The main necropolis is near the shore N and E of the city; the tombs
are mostly sarcophagi.
C. T. Newton, Halicarnassus, Cnidus
II (1863) 604ff; id., Travels and Discoveries
II (1865) 57-58; G. Guidi, Annuario
359-62; G. E. Bean & J. M. Cook, BSA
52 (1957) 96-97;
id., Turkey beyond the Maeander
; Epiphany of Artemis Kindyas: L. Robert, Etudes Anatoliennes
(1937) 459ff; cf. D. Magie, Roman Rule in Asia Minor
G. E. BEAN