or Pernicide Portum (Madinet el-Haras）
An ancient port on the W coast of the
Red Sea 959 km SE of Cairo, noted by Strabo (16.1.5;
) and by Pliny (6.23.103
). Founded by Ptolemy
II Philadelphos (275 B.C.) and named for his mother,
it was a transit station for goods from Arabia and India.
These goods were corfveyed by camel caravan N to
Leucus Limen (present Quseir), then W towards Coptos
(Justinianopolis, present Qift). Along the road, guards
were posted and water provided since it was a military
road where taxes were collected. The port itself was provided with a fortification to protect the city against
piracy. In the center of the city a small temple was dedicated to the god Khem by the emperor Tiberius. Offerings were also presented to the goddess of the emerald mines. At a nearby mine site, Sakait, a temple hewn
from living rock was dedicated to Serapis and Isis.
M. Kammerer, La Mer Rouge
. . .
(= Mem. Soc. R. Géographie d'Égypte
, Vol. XV,7; J. G.
Wilkinson, Topography of Thebes
(1835) 418; M. G.
Daressy, “Bérénice et El Abraq,” ASAE
22, 169-81; Porter & Moss, Top. Bibl., VII. Nubia, the Deserts
. . .
(1951) 326; D. Meredith, “Berenice Trogloditica,” JEA
43 (1957) 56- 70MPI