(Piatra Frecăţei) Dobrudja, Romania.
A station on the limes of the lower Danube, between
Carsium and Troesmis, placed by the Tab. Peut
at 21 Roman miles and by the It. Ant
. (225,1) at 18
Roman miles from Troesmis. The Cuneus Equitum
Stablesianorum was stationed here (Not. Dig
. or. 39.5).
In the 6th c. the place is mentioned as an episcopal residence (531). Recent research in the cemetery has uncovered 1100 inhumation graves (2d-7th c. and 10th-12th c.).
Near the cemetery was a large civil settlement. Recently
traces of life from the 10th-11th c. have been discovered
here, superimposed on levels from the Roman and Roman-Byzantine periods. In these earlier levels were buildings with stone walls.
J. Weiss, Die Dobrudscha im Altertum
(1911) 48; P. Aurelian, “Cîteva mărturii ale culturii
Sintana de Mures-Cerneahov în Scythia Minor,” Studii
şi Cercetări de Istorie Veche
, 15, 1 (1964) 59-80.