(Rogous) S Epeiros, Greece.
On the Louros river. Founded by Bouchetos (FHG
153, Mnaseas fr. 25), later a colony of Elis (D.7.32)
near the coast (Strab. 7.7.5
). The river is navigable up
to this point and curves round a steep limestone hill,
fortified by an inner circuit wall, ca. 800 m long and an
outer circuit wall ca. 1300 m long. Pottery from the mid
6th c. onwards has been found, and there are three stages
of fortification. This city controlled the main route from
inland Epeiros to the W part of the Gulf of Arta and
enabled the Eleans to hold the peninsula of Preveza, rich
in pasture, fisheries, and olives.
N.G.L. Hammond in Ἀφιέρωμα εἰς τὴν Ἤπειρον
(1954) 26ff; id., Epirus
(1967) 57f, 475, and 481fPI