Town in Caria.
Near Geriş, 5 km NE of Myndos, a site of Lelegian
type, with a citadel some 50 m long enclosing a tower
of squared masonry; outside this on the N is a second
tower and some stretches of polygonal wall evidently
belonging to an outer circuit. The pottery is of archaic
and Classical date. On a peak to the N is a handsome
chamber tumulus. Uranion is mentioned in the Athenian
tribute lists with a very small tribute, and by Diodoros
(5.23), who records that after the Trojan War Carians
fled from Syme to the mainland and occupied the place
called Uranion. According to Pliny (HN 5.107
) it was
one of the six Lelegian towns incorporated by Alexander
the Great (really by Maussolos) in Halikarnassos. The
location at Burgaz is conjectural.
BIBLIOGRAPHY. W. R. Paton & J. Myres, JHS
78f; 16 (1896) 206f; G. E. Bean & J. M. Cook, BSA
(1955) 118-20, 155.
G. E. BEAN