(Ivoševci by Kistanje) Croatia, Yugoslavia.
The military camp of Legio XI Claudia Pia
Fidelis situated over the gorge of the Krka (Titius) river
just opposite the Dalmatian hill fort on the E river bank.
It controlled the pass over the river on the W border of
this rebellious tribe. It was mentioned by Pliny (HN
). Legio XI left Burnum in A.D. 69 and was replaced
by Legio IV Flavia until A.D. 86 when Dalmatia became
a territory without legions (provincia inermis). The civil
settlement of canabae attained municipal rank, most
probably from Hadrian. It was destroyed by Goths in
537. Three stone arches of the praetorium still stand.
Numerous finds are in the Archaeological Museum at Zadar.
E. Reisch, “Das Standlager von Burnum,” JOAI
16 (1913) 112-35; M. Zaninović, “Burnum
from Castellum to Municipium,” Diadora
4 (1968) 119-29.