(Plaka) S Albania.
The site is on
a low ridge on the coast at the N end of the Gulf of
Valona. Inland is a large lagoon which is joined to the
sea on the N of the site by a channel (aulon); after this
channel Bylliace vzas renamed Aulon, the predecessor of
the modern Valona. The site is separated now from the
hinterland by a waste of sandy dunes, but in Roman times
it was the terminal port of the Via Egnatia which ran
from the Adriatic coast to Constantinople. Remains of
walls survive on the ridge, along the shore and in the
sea where there was once a built quay.
C. Patsch, “Das Sandschak Berat in
Albanien” Schriften der Balkankommission, Antiquarische Abteilung
, III (1904) 63; N.G.L. Hammond, Epirus
(1967) 132f, 471f, 689f.