(Calahorra) Logroño, Spain.
On the left bank of the river Cidacos near its junction
with the Ebro. Mentioned by Livy (39.21
) in connection
with the wars of the Romans against the Celtiberians in
188-187 B.C. It is celebrated for its adherence to Sertorius and resistance to Pompey and Afranius in 76 B.C.
. 3.86-87; Val. Max. 6. ext. 3). Towards the middle of the 1st c. B.C. it acquired the epithet of Nassica
and later that of Julia, after Caesar. According to Suetonius (Aug
. 49.1) both Caesar and Augustus recruited
Calagurritans for their bodyguards, and Augustus accorded the privilege of coining money.
Among its remains is a circus NE of the city, some
400 paces in length and 116 in width, capable of accommodating 20,000 spectators. The highway from Caesaraugusta to Virobesca traversed the site and crossed the
Ebro by a 20-arch bridge, 5-6 m high and 140 m long.
There are also remains of an aqueduct and of baths with
a mosaic pavement.
Calagurris was the birthplace of the orator and essayist Quintilian, and perhaps of Prudentius. According to
Ausonius, at the close of the 4th c. it was a deserted
town of no importance.
The local museum contains mosaics, terra sigillata,
and inscribed stones.
B. Taracena, “Restos romanos en la
15 (1942) 17-47MPI