(Carsóli) Abruzzo, Italy.
An oppidum of the Aequi on the Via Valeria ca. 65 km from
Rome. In 302 or 298 B.C., it became a colony under Latin
law. In 168 B.C., Bitis of Thrace was confined there. The
town was devastated in the social war and subsequently
became a municipium. It rose in the present district of Civita, ca. 3 km from the modern town, on a rocky spur
which dominates the high plain of the Cavaliere near the
course of the Tolerus river. The site, abandoned in the 13th
c., has never been excavated. There are remains of the rectangular block walls, of tufa walls with limestone repalrs,
the podium of a temple, and a street, along the major
axis, which crosses the entire settlement starting at the
Via Valeria. In the vicinity, remains of an aqueduct and
of a rich votive depository of the 3d c. B.C., today in the
Museo di Chieti, have been found.
B. J. Pfeiffer & T. Ashby in PAAR
(1905) 108ff; A. Cederna, NSc
(1951) 169ff; id., ArchCl
5 (1953) 187ff.