previous next


In the valley of the Barguelonne near the Souquet mill, an imposing group of Gallo-Roman ruins has been known for a long time. They rise tier upon tier along the valley slope and cover almost 4000 sq m. Partial excavations carried out from 1962 to 1964 have brought to light what may be the platform of a temple and a series of basins and pools. Certain pieces of architectural ornamentation and the quality of the construction suggest that the site was not a villa, but rather a rural sanctuary with temple, theater, and baths, similar to several others in central and W Gaul.


A. Viré, “Les vestiges gallo-romains dans la vallée de la Barguelonne,” Bull. de la Soc. des Et. du Lot 52 (1931) 231-32; C-A. Delbur, “La présence romaine dans la vallée de la Barguelonne,” ibid. 84 (1963) 251-59 & 85 (1964) 161-70; M. Labrousse in Gallia 20 (1962) 590; 22 (1964) 458-61 & figs. 39-45; 24 (1966) 440-41 & figs. 32-33; 26 (1968) 546-47 & fig. 33 (over-all plan of ruins).


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: