Caria 10 km NW of Milâs. In the Delian Confederacy
Chalketor paid about one-third of a talent, but was reassessed in 425 at more than two talents. The city united
in the 2d c. B.C. with Euromos, and later in a sympolity
with Mylasa. The acropolis hill, now called Yaz Tepesi,
carries a ring wall of masonry in Lelegian style; at its
N foot was the Temple of Apollo, of which only a few
blocks remain. Several inscriptions have been found here,
including one in Carian. The tombs include sarcophagi,
plain shallow graves, and a number of underground
chambers solidly constructed of large blocks in the Carian
manner. Near the neighboring village of Köşk are two
forts with massive walls 3-5 m thick.
W. R. Paton & J. Myres, JHS
210-11; G. Cousin, BCH
22 (1898) 374ff, 376 no. 16, cf.
Polyb. 30.5.11; A. & T. Akarca, Milâs
(1954) 133; G.E.
Bean, Turkey beyond the Maeander
G. E. BEAN