(Portocivitanova) Macerata, Marche, Italy.
A Roman municipium on the Adriatic coast
(Mela 2.65; Plin. HN
3.13.111) at the mouth of the
Chienti river. There remain in situ some inscriptions in
the church of San Marone. In the territory of Cluana,
from the 1st c. A.D., a vicus Cluentensis has been attested
IX, 5804) on a hill 4 km from the sea where Civitanova Alta now stands. The capital may have been transferred there in the Late Empire. At the end of the 5th c. there was an Early Christian diocesan seat in the town.
IX, p. 554; F. Lanzoni, Le diocesi
(1927) 393; N. Alfieri, “Cluana,” Antiquitas