previous next

COMPIERRE (Bois de) Dept. Nièvre, France.

Hidden on a small rise in the Compierre woods, between St. Révérien and Champallement, is a whole Gallo-Roman village covering an area some 900 m long and between 100 and 300 m wide.

Situated on the Entrains-Autun road, this vicus was inhabited from the beginning of the Empire to the end of the 4th c., when it was laid waste, as were most of the ancient sites in these parts, and finally abandoned. In official excavations, carried out a long time ago, the plan of the town was located; it included a theater linked by a cardo to a galleried octagonal fanum; the interior of the cella of this fanum is circular. (See Champellement for a more detailed description.)

Numerous objects have been discovered in clandestine digging, as well as many workshops and houses, some of them with cellars. Judging from the slag heaps found on the site, iron-working must have played a very active part in the economy of this large settlement which, however, is scarcely represented in the museums.


Boniard, “Mém. sur les ruines d'une villa gallo-romaine, Clamecy, Cégrétin” (June 1842)MP; G. Charleuf, “Mém. sur les fouilles de Saint Révérien (Nièvre),” Mém. de la Soc. Eduenne (Autumn 1844) 319-36I; id. in Annuaire de la Nièvre (1845) 28-43; Barat & Duvivier, Rapport à M. le Préfet de la Nièvre sur les ruines gallo-romaines de Saint Révérien (1845); Baudouin, Rapport sur les travaux ordonnés par . . . dans les ruines gallo-romaines de Saint-Révéien, Congrès arch. de France, 1852 (1853) 292-302; E. Harris, “Communication à l'Assemblée de la Soc. des Fouilles arch. de L'Yonne à Saint Père-sous-Vézelay” (18 Sept. 1938); id., Mém. de la Soc. Académique du Nivernais 41 (1939); L. Coursier, “Les fouilles de Compierre près de Saint Révérien,” Annales de Bourgogne 20 (1948) 65-67.


hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: