One of the twelve
cities that under Theseus gave up their autonomy to form
a new state with Athens as capital (Philochoros: FGrHist
328 F 94), Dekeleia remained a deme in Classical times.
It was situated 120 stades from Athens (Thuc. 7.19.2
on the road that led to Boiotia around the E end of Mt.
Parnes (Hdt. 9.15
). In the Peloponnesian War it was
captured by Agis in 413 B.C., walled, and remained a
Spartan stronghold until the defeat of Athens in 404 B.C.
The city has long been associated with the ancient
remains at Tatoi, on the SE slopes of Parnes, within the
grounds of the once royal estate. From here, particularly
in the area of the farm buildings, have come walls, pottery, sculpture, and inscriptions, one of which (IG
1237) is concerned with the phratry of the Demotionidai
established at Dekeleia.
Immediately S of the farm buildings is the wooded hill
called Palaiokastro, its flat top now used as a cemetery
for the Greek royal family. It was once a fortified enclosure, with a circuit totaling more than 800 m of rubble
wall. Much of the foundation course remains in situ
but is not generally accessible. Because of its location
and size, this fortified height has been rightly identified
as the site of Agis's camp.
A. Milchhöfer, Karten von Attika. Erläuternder Text
7-8 (1895) 2-4; Th. A. Arvanitopoulou,
; T.R.H. The Princesses Sophia &
Eirene, Ὄστρακα ἐκ Δεκελείας