or DRYMOS, NW Phokis, Greece.
Probably on the frontier with Doris; located on S foothills
of Mt. Kallidromos, on the side road to Glounista village.
Several inscriptions are built into a church in the village
(IG IX 1.226-23 refers to the name). Drymaia was
burned by the Persians in 480 B.C.
The citadel was on a projecting spur, the lower town
in the plain to the S, where the walls can be traced around
an area of ca. 0.20 sq. km. Among the foundations in the
plain are some that Frazer conjectured may have belonged to a temple; Pausanias (10.33.12
) mentions a
temple and festival of Demeter Thesmophoros, with an
archaic cult-statue. Sherds run into Roman Imperial
The walls are well preserved on the summit and S
slopes of the hill. The masonry is massive trapezoidal;
some towers still stand 7-8 m high. Loopholes preserved
in the middle of the field face may have been designed
for bolt-throwing artillery (oxybeleis); for the existing
circuit, like many others in Phokis, seems to date from
the last third of the 4th c. There is a gate (partly ancient)
in the cross wall separating the acropolis from the city,
and traces of another gate seem to be preserved in the
E wall, at the foot of the acropolis.
J. G. Frazer, Paus. Des. Gr
. (1898) V
423-24; J. B. Tillard, BSA
17 (1910-11) 54ffM
; F. Schober, Phokis
(1924) 28; F. E. Winter, Greek Fortifications
(1971) 36, 158I
F. E. WINTER