(Rieux) Morbihan, France.
ancient city, situated near Redon at an important ford,
was spread out on both banks of the Vilaine. The ford
was elevated, on a masonry foundation that allowed
one to cross on foot at low tide. Originally, there was also
a wooden bridge, no trace of which remains. Nothing is
left today of the ancient city except for debris strewn
over the fields.
Excavations on the right bank in the last century uncovered a quadrangular fanum with a gallery around it
and a central cella containing a basin. The facade faced
E and was framed by antae. Against the SE wall, on the
outside, was added a small construction open to the E.
About the same time traces of a large villa were found
on the left bank. It had a sizable bath building with six
rooms, one of them over 100 sq m in area.
L. Maitre, Les villes disparues de la
(1893); Grenier, Manuel