(Ravenglass) Cumberland, England.
Once thought to be Agricola's base for an invasion of Ireland, but probably a Hadrianic foundation.
It controls a safe river anchorage. The fort, unexcavated,
was cut by the railway in the 19th c. The only visible feature is the external bath house, standing 3.6 m high, with
some window openings and a niche preserved. The internal walls were coated with pink plaster.
B. B. Birley, “The Roman fort at Ravenglass,” Trans. Cumberland and Westmorland Arch. Soc
ser. 2, 58 (1958) 14-30.