previous next

GLEVUM (Gloucester) Gloucestershire, England.

Between Calleva and S Wales, at the crossing of the Sabrina (Severn). Excavations in 1966-69 in the center of the modern city distinguished structures of three periods: 1) a Claudio-Neronian ditch system of unknown extent, possibly indicating hiberna; 2) a Flavian timber fortress of 17.2 ha, presumably that of the Legio II; and 3) the colonia (coterminous with fortress) which is known from inscriptions to have been founded under Nerva (A.D. 96-98). Originally provided with a series of barrack-like dwellings, probably of timber on stone footings, the colonia was rebuilt during the 2d or 3d c. with large masonry houses; the central forum was probably rebuilt at the same time. The site was falling into ruins in the 5th c. and was captured by the Saxons in A.D. 577.

The only visible monuments are portions of the colonia wall incorporated into modern basements beneath the City Museum and beneath buildings in King's Square. Vertical joints separate masonry of the 3d c. from that of the 4th, which includes large reused blocks. The City Museum contains much excavated material including that from Kingsholm, a 1st c. military site 0.8 km to the N.


BIBLIOGRAPHY

L.E.W.O. Fullbrook-Leggatt, Roman Gloucester (1968)MPI; “Roman Britain,” JRS 49 (1959) 126; 57 (1967) 194-95; unpublished work of H. R. Hurst.

J. F. RHODES

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: