One of the principal cities of the region and an important site in military history, Gomphoi lies 2 km NE of the modern village of Muzaki and about 15 km SW of Trikkala. It
guarded the route to the Pindos and was used as a rallying point by Philip V of Macedon. The principal cult
was that of Dionysos Karpios, but inscriptions also mention Zeus Palamnios. The walls are the principal architectural remains on the triangular acropolis, which is hollowed out on one side like a natural theater.
; Livy 38.1.2
; W. M. Leake,
. (1835) iv 519; F. Stählin, Das hellenische
M. H. MC ALLISTER