previous next

KELENDERIS, later Gilindire (Aydincik) Rough Cilicia Turkey.

On the coast 46 km W of the modern Anamur and the center of a region known to Pliny (HN 5.92) as Kelenderitis. Said by Apollodoros to be a foundation of Sandokos of Syria and therefore presumably of native origin, Kelenderis was colonized, doubtless in the 8th c. B.C., by Samians. Included in the Delian League between 460 and 454 as a way station on the route to Egypt, with an assessment probably of one talent, it thereafter has no recorded history. Its coinage began in the mid 5th c. and continued until the time of Decius. Survival into the 5th c. of our era is attested by Hierocles and the Notitia. Of the recorded inscriptions, nearly all funerary and datable to the 2d and 3d c., not one is now to be seen.

The ruins today are overlaid by the expanding modern village. Fortifications may still be detected, nevertheless, around the modern lighthouse on the small promontory which forms and commands the harbor; but the chief harbor was undoubtedly the fine, landlocked bay with its famous spring 1.6 km to the W at Soğuk Su. Here there are ancient ruins, notably a bath at the head of the bay and archaeological debris on the peninsula at its mouth. The most notable monument is the great built tomb among olive trees to the E of the modern town. There are handsome but much destroyed rock-cut tombs at Duruhan 9.6 km to the N.


R. Heberdey & A. Wilhelm, “Reisen in Kilikien,” DenkschrWien 44 (1896) 1-168; A.H.M. Jones, Cities of the Eastern Roman Provinces (1937); B. V. Head, Historia Numorum (2d ed. 1911) 718; Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Deutschland, Sammlung v. Aulock, Kilikien (1966) pl. 190.


hide References (1 total)
  • Cross-references from this page (1):
    • Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 5.22
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: